Have you ever gone into a salon wanting to change your hair color drastically because it was just that time? Only to walk out with something worse and on top of that you had to get lots of hair cut off due to damage?
Our hair has bonds, and those bonds are broken when we infuse it with bleach and color. That’s why when you are doing a drastic change your hair can’t always handle it and starts to break. At that point, the hairdresser can’t keep going. They have to stop, and that’s why you didn't get the look you wanted.
But ... times change!
I did it!! A total hair makeover! As everyone knew I had extensions of RANA hair extensions (check out the blog post), they're fantastic by the way. But because I wanted a complete makeover I had to remove them for several days, I missed them quickly!
Of course, I went to my favorite hairdresser in Antwerp, TONI KALIN, who's the best! My hair color was beige blond with some brown locks. I never dared to ask what I wanted because I thought it would destroy my hair completely and the last thing I want is another bleach horror story, but with all the knowledge of hair colorist Stephanie Boutard Kalin and a 6 hours workout, we got the fantastic end result in just one session!
What is Olaplex (my lifesaver)
Olaplex isn't just another hair conditioning treatment. It's a system that permanently rebuilds the damaged bonds in your hair that are broken during the chemical process. If you've over-bleached over the years, Olaplex allows you to rebuild the strength, structure, and integrity of your hair, a 'reset' for your locks. Olaplex is a three-part treatment, the first two of which have to be done in a salon.
How she did it! (don't try this at home!!)
1) Because I wanted a lighter hair color the first step was bleaching my hair with Olaplex No.1 Bond Multiplier, this can be put on the hair as a stand-alone treatment, or if (like in my case) you're getting your color done, it's mixed in with the bleach and put straight onto your hair in foils. Olaplex is every hairdresser's dream product.
2) Olaplex No.2 Bond Perfector is then put on the hair once the bleach is rinsed out, this is left on for a good 20 minutes. We washed the bleached locks with the 'KEEP MY COLOUR BLONDE SHAMPOO' by Eleven Australia, it's a toning shampoo with a blue base to fight brassiness and boost blonde tones (I can't live without). The nutrient-rich formula contains soy and wheat proteins to strengthen hair and add volume.
3) The next step is coloring again, but this time we're gonna color the bleached hair with a toner in combination with Olaplex No.1 Bond Multiplier. Toner is a sweet little product that neutralizes brassy yellow and orange tones on bleached hair. It's usually purple-blue tinted. When applied to bleached hair, it takes it to more of an ashy, dusty, or platinum color. That means a much more natural-looking hair tone! It can also make your hair look shinier and healthier.
4) TONI KALIN is known as the Rebel in Hairdressing! That's why I wanted a touch of 'rebel' in my hair, Dark Roots! The two tone hair trend may have made dark roots in blonde hair acceptable. Not long ago, it was taboo to show hair near the roots, which had grown out in a different color. At that time these ‘roots’ had to be touched up. This forced many women to color their hair frequently. Today, the once taboo look may be considered the beginning of trendy two tone hair color styles. This ombré hair, for example, will do nicely until the next hair color treatment.
5) Between every coloring session with Olaplex No.1 Bond Multiplier we put on the Olaplex No.2 Bond Perfector and leave this on for 20 mintures after we rinsed out the coloring products to really get the most out of its chemical mending.
Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector is where you take things into your own hands. The 3th step is a take home treatment, which Stephanie Kalin recommend you use once a week. Apply to damp hair, comb through, and leave on for a minimum of 10 minutes at home before washing as normal. If you want to maximise the effect, leave it on overnight.
After your hair is blow dried, it looks smoother right away even if you just did a big color service that technically is supposed to create more damage to your hair. But most importantly, it protects your hair from breaking and making it stronger than it was before. Hair is easier to comb through, and your ends look less damaged. And did I mention it helps your color last longer as well?
This would be a perfect treatment for you, you can also ask for the treatment on its own and remember to get some to take home with you.
Life isn't perfect but your hair can be!!